DETROIT — The all-new 2021 Envision strengthens Buick’s premium SUV-only lineup, with more of the design, connectivity and safety features that resonate with today’s highly-discerning customers.
Along with the recent launch of the Encore GX, the new Envision will help to expand Buick’s reach in the fast-growing compact SUV segment.
“The all-new 2021 Envision is a tremendous opportunity for the brand,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president, Global Buick and GMC. “With strong, differentiated designs, and a combination of advanced technologies and premium appointments, it will stand apart in one of the industry’s most competitive segments.”
Building on the success of the previous generation, the new Envision is lower and wider, with proportions and styling that combine the expressiveness of a car with the practicality of an SUV. And, for the first time, the new Envision offers customers unique and distinct personas, including Sport Touring and Avenir.
Additional highlights include:
The 2021 Envision displays contemporary styling that is the most expressive of Buick’s sculptural design language.
“The new Envision has a more athletic presence that is full of character,” said Helen Emsley, executive director, Global Buick and GMC Design.
The three trims – Preferred, Essence and Avenir – each incorporate specific design features. The Preferred and Essence trims have an available Sport Touring package that embodies a more agile appearance with darkened exterior touches and 20-inch wheels with a darkened finish.
All models feature LED headlamps and taillamps and daytime running light signatures, as well as a welcome/walkaway lighting animation, which activates when using the key fob.
Envision designers had one overriding objective with the new SUV’s interior: Provide customers with a sense of reward in their everyday driving.
“The new Envision’s cabin is welcoming, with a comfortable and premium environment intended to make the driver and passengers feel like every excursion is an occasion,” said Rob Cameron, design manager, Global Buick and GMC. “All of the elements are designed to celebrate what customers use the most on their drives today.”
At the heart of the Envision’s new interior is its driver-centric instrument panel, which is tilted toward the driver for a better, clearer view. The panel blends technology and convenience, including Buick’s first available 10.2-inch-diagonal infotainment2 touchscreen.
The interior also features an all-new, versatile center console that incorporates:
Five-passenger seating is standard, with the 60/40-split second row featuring the capability to fold flat with the cargo floor, for a virtually seamless transition with the seatbacks and a minimal gap between them. Slotting in between the smaller Encore and Encore GX and the larger Enclave, the Envision has 52.7 cubic feet6 of cargo space behind the first-row seats and 25.2 cubic feet6 behind the second-row seats.
A range of seating appointments, in light and dark color themes, are available, including perforated leather on Essence. Heated front seats are standard on Essence and available on Preferred.
Additional interior features include:
The 2021 Envision will also offer Buick’s first available 10.2-inch-diagonal touchscreen infotainment system2, and includes in-vehicle apps9, such as available Alexa Built-in3, as well as Buick-exclusive apps – Reese’s Book Club(curated by Reese Witherspoon) and NCAA March Madness. Wireless charging4, wireless Apple CarPlay10 and Android Auto11 are also offered.
The new Envision is purposefully contented with standard and available active safety and driver assistance technologies designed to help monitor the vehicle’s surroundings and alert the driver to potential hazards — and, in some cases, take action to help avoid a threat.
The Buick Driver Confidence Plus package offers nine standard active safety features, including:
Additional available driver assistance technologies include HD Surround Vision, Enhanced Automatic Parking Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Head-up Display and more.
The Avenir is Buick’s ultimate expression of refinement and is now being offered on the Envision for the first time.
The Envision Avenir is distinguished by an exclusive mesh grille design, with tinted chrome trim and unique 20-inch wheels with a Pearl Nickel finish.
Additional standard features include:
Performance and propulsion
The new Envision’s propulsion and chassis/suspension details include:
The all-new 2021 Buick Envision is on sale now, with a starting MSRP of $32,995 (including destination, excluding tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment).
Buick vehicles offer sculptural designs, refined performance, modern interiors and thoughtful personal technologies. Buick’s award-winning customer service and sales experience, along with the Avenir trim, the highest expression of Buick luxury, are attracting new buyers to experience Buick’s unique approach to attainable luxury. More information about Buick vehicles is available at buick.com.
1. Safety or driver assistance features are no substitute for the driver’s responsibility to operate the vehicle in a safe manner. The driver should remain attentive to traffic, surroundings and road conditions at all times. Visibility, weather and road conditions may affect feature performance. Read the vehicle Owner’s Manual for more important feature limitations and information.
2. Functionality varies by model. Full functionality requires compatible Bluetooth and smartphone, and USB connectivity for some devices.
3. Functionality is subject to limitations and varies by vehicle, infotainment system and location. Select service plan required. Certain Alexa Skills require account linking to use. Amazon, Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon, Inc. or its affiliates. See onstar.com for additional details.
4. The system wirelessly charges one compatible mobile device. Some phones have built-in wireless charging technology and others require a special adaptor/back cover. To check for phone or other device compatibility, see [my.buick.com/learn] or consult your carrier.
5. Not compatible with all devices.
6. Cargo and load capacity limited by weight and distribution.
7. Ketchum Daily Ride Index (2019)
8. Feature does not detect people, pets or objects. Customers should always check the vehicle before exiting.
9. Available on select 2017 model year and newer GM vehicles with compatible hardware. Third-party trademarks are the property of their respective third-party owners and used under agreement. Requires active service plan and paid AT&T vehicle data plan. See onstar.com for details and limitations.
10. Vehicle user interface is a product of Apple and its terms and privacy statements apply. Requires compatible iPhone and data plan rates apply. Apple CarPlay is a trademark of Apple Inc. Siri, iPhone and Apple Music are trademarks for Apple Inc, registered in the U.S. and other countries.
11. Vehicle user interface is a product of Google and its terms and privacy statements apply. Requires the Android Auto app on Google Play and an Android compatible smartphone running AndroidTM 5.0 or higher. Data plan rates apply. Android Auto is a trademark of Google LLC.
12. Map coverage available in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.
# # #
2021 BUICK ENVISION SPECIFICATIONS (NORTH AMERICA)
FUEL TANK CAPACITY (approx.)
|15.9 gal. / 60.2L (FWD)|
16.1 gal. / 60.9L (AWD)
|Type:||2.0L DOHC I-4 VVT Turbocharged|
|Bore & stroke|
(in. / mm):
|3.27 x 3.63 / 83 x 92.3|
|Block material:||High-pressure die-cast aluminum|
|Cylinder head material:||Aluminum alloy|
|Valvetrain:||Dual-overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, continuously variable valve timing|
|Fuel delivery:||High-pressure direct injection and electronic throttle control|
(hp / kW):
|228 / 170 @ 5000 rpm|
(lb-ft / Nm):
|258 / 350 @ 1500-4000 rpm|
TRANSMISSION & AXLE
|Gear Ratios (:1)|
|Final Drive Ratio:||3.47|
CHASSIS & SUSPENSION
|Front Suspension:||MacPherson strut with direct acting stabilizer bar; Continuous Damping Control (available)|
|Rear Suspension:||Five-link independent with stabilizer bar; Continuous Damping Control (available)|
|Steering Type:||Electric power-assisted rack-and-pinion with crosswind and road-shake stabilization|
(ft. / m):
|38 / 11.6 (18-in. wheels)|
38 / 11.6 (20-in. wheels)
|Brake Type:||Four-wheel disc with four-channel ABS|
|Brake Rotor Size (mm):||312 mm Front|
315 mm Rear
|Wheel Size:||18-in. aluminum (std. Preferred and Essence)|
20-in. aluminum (std. Avenir and avail. Preferred and Essence)
|Tire Size:||P 235/60R18 All-Season|
P 245/45R20 All-Season
(in. / mm):
|109.4 / 2779|
(in. / mm):
|182.5 / 4636|
(in. / mm):
|74.1 / 1882|
(in. / mm):
|64.6 / 1641|
(in. / mm):
|63.3 / 1608 (front)|
63.3 / 1608 (rear)
(in. / mm):
|39.6 / 1006 (front)|
38.9 / 988 (rear)
(in. / mm):
|40.4 / 1026 (front)|
39.3 / 998 (rear)
|Shoulder Room (in. / mm):||56.7 / 1440 (front)|
55.9 / 1420 (rear)
|Hip Room (in. / mm):||55.1 / 1400 (front)|
47.4 / 1204 (rear)
WEIGHTS, CAPACITIES AND CARGO VOLUME
(lb. / kg):
|3692 / 1675 (Preferred FWD)|
3864 / 1753 (Preferred AWD)
3732 / 1693 (Essence FWD)
3904 / 1771 (Essence AWD)
3759 / 1705 (Avenir FWD)
3932 / 1784 (Avenir AWD)
|EPA Passenger volume|
(cu. ft. / L)1:
|100.4 / 2849|
(cu. ft. / L)1:
|25.2 / 713 (behind rear seat)|
52.7 / 1492 (rear seat folded)
(lb. / kg)2:
|1500 / 680|
1. Cargo and load capacity limited by weight and distribution.
2. Before you buy a vehicle or used it for trailering, carefully review the trailering section of the Owner’s Manual. The weight of the passengers, cargo and options my reduced the amount you can tow.
SAFETY & DRIVER ASSISTANCE FEATURES
|Airbags1: frontal and seat-mounted side-impact for driver and front passenger, knee for driver, and roof-rail mounted head-curtain for outboard seating positions; includes Passenger Sensing System|
|Standard Tire Pressure Monitor System with Tire Fill Alert|
|Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with traction control|
|HD Rear Vision Camera2 is standard on Preferred and Essence|
|HD Surround Vision2 is standard on Avenir and available on Essence|
|Buick Driver Confidence package2 is standard. Content includes Front Pedestrian Braking, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Alert, Automatic Emergency Braking, Following Distance Indicator and IntelliBeam automatic high beam control|
|Buick Driver Confidence Plus package2 is standard. Content includes Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Rear Park Assist|
|Technology Package I2 is available on Essence. Content includes Front Park Assist, HD Surround Vision and Head-Up Display|
|Technology Package II2 is available on Avenir. Content includes Technology Package I content plus Enhanced Automatic Emergency Braking, Enhanced Automatic Parking Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Rear Camera Mirror and washer|
1. Always use seat belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See your vehicle Owner’s Manual for more information.
2. Read the vehicle’s owner’s manual for more important feature limitations and information.